Bardot Ruffle Burda Style Viscose dress

by - 12:35

Most of the garments I sew require fittings and adjustments. I like those tasks, but sometimes it's also nice to sew something very simple and straightforward. This gathered dress was exactly this type of a project.
There are times when I get the fabric first and pick a project next. There are times when I see a great project and look for a fabric for it. But sometimes I get a fabric for a specific pattern, and then see a different design and completely change my mind. That's what has happened with this dress.

We had some really hot days this summer. Eventually, I got to the point where I realized that I don't have enough dresses for really hot weather. Might sound strange considering how much time we've spent close to the equator, but that's the point - my main goal has always been to cover the shoulders. The average temperatures were allowing me to use thicker materials, so over the years, I've ended up with quite a lot of cotton poplin dresses, lined and unlined. I did sew some viscose challis dresses too, but mainly with sleeves. I absolutely love my Burda Gypsy and Burda front tie dresses. They're super comfortable and perfect for summer days, but not incredibly hot days. One of the best garments for this weather is my Butterick 5448 dress, but I desperately needed more options. I wanted something with spaghetti straps, lots of gathers and ruffles. That's not like me at all, but for a while, that's been something I really wanted to add to my wardrobe. I looked through my pattern collection and Burda gathered bardot dress 120 7/2014 seemed to be the perfect choice.

I didn't want to sew a floor-length version, so I decided to make it shorter and use all of the 3 metres of fabric that I had. Speaking of the fabric, it is viscose challis from Minerva

Viscose challis can be very thin, but this one is of a decent weight and of great quality. It's not see-through but still very light and drapey. I paired it with some cotton lace from a local shop that ended up being a fantastic colour match.

I originally bought this viscose challis to sew a fancy dressing gown, but a new dress was something more important at the moment.
I loved the pattern and I can highly recommend it for super quick and easy dress projects. 

I did change some things, like the length of the bottom piece and the width of some of the details (to use most of my fabric), but there were no fitting issues at all. I also skipped the elasticated waist and sewed a belt for it. 

This dress can be worn both ways - with straps when it's hot, and with the gathered top up the shoulders if it's too sunny! 

I'm very happy with this project and this red dress is definitely not my last gathered one.

I used:

You May Also Like


  1. I really appreciate your efforts. You publish good details about COLLECTORS OF ART topic. I really want content like this to increase my knowledge and you provided this. Thank you so much.

  2. You have shared a magnificent post about womens clothing wholesale usa I totally agree with all the points you mentioned here. Thank you for providing such an informative post.

  3. I am truly impressed by the details that you have provided regarding ruched skirt It is an interesting blog for me as well as for others. Thanks for sharing such a blog here.

  4. Amazing post, thanks for sharing such an informative article. Useful and interesting. Take look at this too Pakistani Dresses near Me. Thanks!

  5. You have a genuine capacity to compose a substance that is useful for us. You have shared an amazing blog about Short Dresses for Women Online thanks for sharing this blog with us.

  6. I generally check this kind of blog and I found your blog which is related to my interest. Genuinely, it is good and instructive blog about prom dresses champagne Thanks for sharing an amazing blog here.