Hacked Tilly and the Buttons Freya dress

by - 13:56


The perfect winter dress for me is one that is quite warm, has a full skirt and long sleeves. At the same time, I’m not a big fan of bodycon jersey dresses, which might be the most popular designs in all of the pattern companies. Another important detail is the sleeves - they shouldn’t be too tight.

I really liked my Joni dress from Tilly and the Buttons’ book stretch and I really wanted to sew something else from it. Freya dress seemed to be a good option, the only problem was with the skirt - it wasn’t full enough for me. So I cut the pattern along the waistline and added a 3/4 skirt. I also altered the neckline and turned it into a regular one, which is something I find comfortable and more versatile.


As always with the jersey projects, it was very quick and easy. The most time-consuming part was probably the pattern adjustments and sleeve gathering.
The sleeves are from a completely different pattern - one of the BurdaStyle Pattern Store one. I wanted to have some volume and puffiness, which is exactly what these sleeves are about. It does increase the amount of fabric you need, but it definitely makes the final garment more interesting.


The fabric I used is a medium weight cotton jersey. It’s amazingly soft and cosy, which makes it perfect for Autumn and Winter dresses. The quality is perfect too, and the fabric looked great after the pre-wash. I repeated the washing machine cycle twice and the material looked like new after each one.
To stabilize the seams I used the Vilene Framilastic tape, which is my favourite one for this task. It doesn’t stick to the feet, doesn’t break and doesn’t curl as you sew. And it does the job, of course.

I used:




You May Also Like

0 comments